One feature that highlights the beauty of the face is the lips. But time and age can damage the face due to the sun’s ultraviolet rays, genetics, and smoking and can cause visible signs of aging around the lips and mouth, says Dr Viral Desai, an Aesthetic and Cosmetic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, Reconstructive Surgeon, and the Founder and Medical Director of DHI India, CPLSS, Sarla Hospital & Desai Hospitals).
These age-related signs causethinning of the lips, fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, and saggingof the mouth creasesaround the lips.
Also, some people are born with asymmetrical or thin lips that are aesthetically unpleasant. These features can be improved by the best cosmetic surgeon in Mumbaiby soft tissue augmentation of the lips with dermal fillers or relaxation of the muscles around the lips with botulinum toxin or grafting with implants.
Lip fillers, such as Juvederm, are injectable treatments that shape and plump up your lip. They are however only a semi-permanent solution. Lip implants are soft, solid silicone implant shaped like a natural lip, which come in different sizes and theyoffer a permanent solution to lip augmentation.
Restoring the beauty of the lip and mouth region requires an in-depth understanding of the anatomy as well as the treatment methods and injectable products that are used to enhance the beauty of the lips.
Selecting a Board certified Plastic surgeon like cosmetic surgeon Dr. Viral Desai at CPLSS who is well versed with cosmetic procedures is crucial for a successful procedure.
Q. Share about Lip Anatomy and areas where Fillers are injected.
1. The upper and lower lip margins which are red in colour are called the vermillion borders. Fillers can be injected in the vermillion to create a more defined shape. This can make the lips plump and pop, which looks very aesthetic and is very appealing to many filler recipients.
2. The lips are naturally asymmetrical and the upper lip should be 1/3 smaller than the lower vermillion, or lower lip.
3. Most commonly, the upper lip is the area where fillers are injected. This is because the upper lip undergoes maximum volume loss as the aging process happens.
4. The upper lip area extends from the lower portion of the upper lip to the bottom of the philtrum, which is the region between the upper lip and nostrils. Vertical lipstick lines are prominent with aging in this area.
5. The oral commissure is the corner of the mouth area where the lips meet. Fillers can help raise and fill these areas to mask the effects of aging such as sagging, creases and volume loss.
6. An area called the “cupid’s bow” which is a central curved dip in the upper lip is a common area for cosmetic lip enhancement done by the best cosmetic surgeon in Mumbai.Its borders can be better defined with fillers, and patients often want volume in this area.
7. Another pleasing aesthetic area is the ''white roll'' of tissue which borders the upper margin of the upper lip. Careful filler injections in this area can accentuate the white roll, giving a youthful dramatic pop to the lips.
Q. What are the Lip fillers?
There are several different types of lip fillers, such as Juvederm, Restylane, Voluma, and Perlane.The main content of the fillers is hyaluronic acid which is a naturally occurring substance in the body.Hyaluronic acid may be mixed with lidocaine which acts as a numbing agent to reduce the pain of subsequent injections.
Q. Which are the fillers commonly used for Lips?
There are innumerable dermal filler brands to choose from when it comes to lip augmentation. Here are a few of the most common and popular lip fillers used by the cosmetic surgeon Dr. Viral Desai and what their specific uses are:
During your consultation at CPLSS, Dr. Viral Desai will assess your lips and study the overall facial balance. He will take initial pictures of the lips to determine the symmetry and shape of your natural lips.
The lip filler augmentation procedure at the best cosmetic surgery clinic in Mumbai is a short lunch break fifteen to thirty minutes treatment.
Since lip fillers only last around six to ten months, they areconsidered a semi-permanent method of augmenting.
Q. Share some insights about Botox injections for lip and mouth area.
Botox injections into the lip and surrounding area can provide several cosmetic benefits or improvements. It works by relaxing the lip muscles.
When injected in the perioral area, Botox can help:
- Erase creases in the upper and lower lip area
- Elevate the corners of the mouth
- Remove marionette lines, or vertical lines that run down from the corners of your mouth
- Correct a “gummy” smile
- Augment the upper lip, also known as the “Botox lip flip”
Q. What is Botox Lip Flip?
· The “Botox lip flip” is a procedure done with Botox injections to make the lips appear larger.
· To do this, the plastic surgeon injects multiple units of Botox into the upper middle part of the upper lip.
· When the muscles relax, the upper lip will curl upward. This lengthens the upper lip, thus making it look larger without actually adding any volumizing material such as fillers or implants.
Q. Tell us something about the Lip implants.
One alternative to temporary lip fillers for permanent lip augmentation is to use implants. Dr. Viral Desai will determine if you are a good candidate and what size lip implant would suit you the best.
The Permalip implant insertion is a simple in-office procedure.
First, the lips are anesthetized. Then, an incision is made in both corners of the mouth.
A tunnel in the lip is created which carefully follows the shape of the lip and houses the implant.
The implant is positioned in between the lip fat and the lip muscles. Once the implants are secure in place, the incisions are closed with one or two absorbable sutures.
Inserting the implants takes about thirty minutes, and the patient can go home the day of the procedure.