As per new charter, No charges would be applicable in cancellation of ticket within a day of booking.
DO YOU KNOW?
· No cancellation fee on flight tickets cancelled within 24 hours of booking amendment for journey 7 days later.
· Zero fee for legitimate correction pointed out within 24hours.
· Cancellation charges cannot be more than the basic fare plus fuel surcharges
· In case of cancelled flight alternate flight should be provided within 2 hours or full ticket refund.
· For delay of over 4 hours, airlines have to offer an option of full refund.
· If delay means flying next day airline has to offer hotel accommodation too.
· Baggage loss compensation Rs 350/kg upto Rs. 20,000/-
· Compensation of upto Rs. 20,000/- if a connecting flight is missed due to delay.
· Compensation for boarding denied due to overbooking upto Rs. 20,000 if alternate flight after 1 hour.
Air travelers can now cancel tickets without having to pay any amount within a day of the booking but zero cancellation charge won’t apply if the tickets are booked less than seven days before the scheduled departure time of the flight, in this case the airline can charge cancellation fee limited to the total of base fare and fuel surcharge. Other components like tax, user development fee, airport development fee and passenger service fee will have to be refunded.
The charter expresses that to decrease burden caused to the travelers because of the cancellation of the flights on which they are reserved to travel, the airline is required to illuminate the traveler of the cancellation two weeks before the departure time and arrange alternate flight/refund as acceptable to the traveler. In case the passengers are informed of the cancellation less than two weeks before and up to 24 hours of the scheduled time of departure, the airline shall offer an alternate flight or refund the ticket, as acceptable to the passenger.
The passenger charter also prescribes uniform penalties on carriers for poor services such as missing connecting flights and denial of boarding due to overbooking. Passengers can now also make legitimate corrections in their name within 24 hours of booking without paying any charges. The compensation for loss or damage to baggage has been fixed at Rs 350 per kg. The upper limit for compensation has been enhanced to Rs 20,000, up from Rs 3,000 currently.
The ministry has also introduced compensation for passengers for missing connecting flights if onward journey is on same PNR. Passengers would be paid between Rs 5,000 and Rs 10,000 depending on the duration of the flight.