Q. How important is the MICE business for your country and what percentage of total business you comprise from the MICE?
Today every destination is looking at a piece of the Indian MICE market. Over the last 3-5 yrs the MICE movements from India to Europe have increased tremendously and this will only grow further in the coming years as well.
Q. why one needs to go to your country for MICE business instead of others, what are the facilities your country provide to them?
- A stunning location makes any event a memorable affair, be it in rustic country style at an alpine lodge at 3,000m altitude where you can party the night away and enjoy a scrumptious breakfast at sunrise, be it in the romantic, medieval setting of an ancient castle hall! Austria’s mountains, rivers, lakes, meadows and forests mean that recreation, unique experiences, fun and adventure can be enjoyed both in summer and winter. Austria is of course also blessed with art and culture, tradition and modernity, great cuisine and hospitality.
- More reasons which make Austria a sought after MICE destination:
-Good accessibility due to its central location
- Under 4 hours flying time from anywhere in Europe
- Sports, cultural and culinary highlights all year round: a perfect opportunity to forge new business ties
- Austria is a major business hub in Central Europe
- Great scenic diversity within a close range
- Austria has over 50 Indian restauarants and is well equipped to cater to an Indian Clientele. Vegetarian food is also available at a wide number of local eateries.
- Vienna is the leading meeting & incentive city in Europe, hosting 2,300 events each year. It is a compact, green, a safe city and easy to reach. The Vienna Convention Bureau puts the organiser in touch with congress centres, locations, agencies and arrange for the required hotel quotas.
They readily organise tailor-made site inspections. The event is published free of charge in the Vienna congress calendar and provide delegates with information leaflets about Vienna.
Vienna also offers special convention go-as-you-please tickets for public transport, grants for international conventions. Well documented information is also available on www.vienna.convention.at
Q. How is the response from Indian MICE segment? Are there any challenges which you’re facing in the current scenario?
The Indian Market has been growing steadily in the MICE segment. June to September is the highest season of MICE travel that we see from India. Austria is seeing regular MICE groups to Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck as well as to smaller towns and cities like Zell am see. Europe being more expensive than Asian destinations smaller MICE movements with stringent budgets are a challenge to tap.
Q. Tell us the round fig. of MICE 2014 in your country from Indian MICE segment? Also share your expectations for 2015 and the marketing strategies with which you’re coming?
We look at an expected growth rate of 10-15% every year.
The tourism board is pro active in providing detailed information and assistance in planning the event, making joint presentations with the agent to the client. We have a dedicated website www.convention.austria.info
to cater to information on MICE. We assisst the travel trade with itinerary planning, information, location planning. We provide assisstance in the form of convention bureaus. We also hold a MICE dedicated exhibition in Austria “ACCESS”
Q. Describe the MICE status of your country only in 1 sentence?
There is sheer endless variety which Austria as a destination for MICE events can offer! Vienna is the leading meeting & incentive city in Europe, hosting 2,300 events each year.
Q. MICE Asia Pacific has become the second most famous event, what makes it so?
Q. The emphasis is more on content in MICE market, could you elaborate?
Austria has 641.300 beds in hotels and apartment, in addition it has 315.000 beds in bed&breakfast (Pension).
Out of 613.300 beds 36,2% are 4 and 5 Star, 32,7% are 3 Star Hotels and 19,4% are two and one star properties, 11,7% are Apartments
Below please find a city wise breakup of Conference Hotels and convention centres :
- Vienna :
- three convention centers
- 94 conference hotels
- 41 historical venues and
- 18 contemporary locations
- 2 convention centres
- 37 conference hotels
- 15 stunning locations
Tirol has 2,183 hotels with 129,207 beds
Conference capacity of 4500 persons
Picture Perfect locations